Books4Cause collecting used books for libraries in Africa
DetailsCreated on Thursday, 30 August 2012 23:24 Written by Melanie Nesteruk Hits: 701
Books4Cause, along with Good Books for Africa and the African Library Project, is coming to Kent State today to collect gently used books to help support schools and libraries in Ghana and other parts of Africa.
The organization accepts any book in good condition, except journals, magazines, periodicals or old encyclopedias. Yosef Lifchitz, a representative for Books4Cause, said old or outdated textbooks are “very useful” and are willingly accepted.
Lifchitz said Books4Cause visits about 50 different colleges annually to collect books and textbooks. If students are interested in donating, they can call (800) 570-3698 or go to www.books4cause.com/donate-your-books/.
Books4Cause will send someone to your home or residence hall to pack up and carry away any of your unwanted books. Donators do not have to pack the books or worry about shipping costs.
According to the Books4Cause website, 25 percent of the books collected are sold to fund nonprofit organizations and cover shipping costs, while the remaining 75 percent go toward the cause or, if they are unusable, are recycled.