Catching up with Chad Zumock

Jackie McLean

Kent State alum set to open for tonight’s Nick Swardson show

Q: What was your major and why did you decide to pick that major?

A: I didn’t really decide to take that major; the major kind of chose me. It was general studies. And general studies, I don’t know if you know what that is, but I guess it’s a fancy way of saying you’re not getting a job after college.

Q: What are some of the things you’ve done as a comedian?

A: I lived in Los Angeles for a year-and-a-half. I was in a Spike TV show (“The Playbook”). I opened up for everybody you could think of from Sarah Silverman to Dane Cook. I was an extra on “Entourage,” and I’ve got a bunch of sweater vests. That’s about it!

Q: What was it like meeting Dane Cook and Sarah Silverman?

A: Sarah was very nice, and Dane was nice. I went to Dane Cook’s house, which was kind of cool. I mean, they’re normal people at the end of the day. When you live in L.A., after a while, you just don’t care.

Q: Do you live in L.A. now?

A: No, I moved back to Cleveland ’cause that’s how my career’s going – I’m going completely backward. I’m a Midwest guy. I always will be. I do stand-up and just travel, and I go out to L.A. four times a year instead of coming to Ohio 12 times a year from L.A..

Q: Can you describe your experience at Kent State?

A: It was like the movie “Titanic.” It was long (and) boring, with a shitty ending. No, it was a great time. I think Kent State ruined me. That’s why I became a comedian.

Q: What are your best memories from Kent State?

A: College was the best time of my life, and it will always be the best time of my life. First off, I wasn’t in a fraternity. Second of all, I did a lot of stuff for TV2. While I was there we had a popular television show called “Last Call.” It was really popular at its time, and we got to pretty much do whatever we wanted, whenever we wanted. My roommate in college was actually Trevor Huffman, who played basketball for Kent and took Kent State to the Elite Eight, so we were kind of celebrities while we were in college. Every night was a party somewhere.

Q: Do you remember any of the costumes you wore during Halloween here?

A: I remember distinctively one. It was really bad taste. Do you remember when Christopher Reeve fell off the horse and got paralyzed? I was Christopher Reeve in a wheelchair that year it happened, and everyone booed me at first. I don’t blame them; it was really bad taste.

Q: How do your parents feel about your career choice?

A: They kind of figured I’d go this route because I was a class clown, and I was always like an idiot. But I get paid to be an idiot, so it worked out really well.

Q: How did you become involved with the Nick Swardson event that’s going on Thursday?

A: I met Nick in L.A., and I’ve gotten drunk with Nick like nine times. Nick’s a good guy. He’s probably one of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet, and he’s also one of the funniest. And for a guy who is as famous and popular as he is, he’s the most down- to-earth guy you’ll ever meet. I saw that he was coming to Kent, and I kind of mentioned something to him through e-mail, and next thing I know I was opening for him.

Q: What can we expect from you during the opening?

A: I’m not stupid; I know a lot of people are going to see Nick. But also, you know, I’m from Kent, so I’ve got a lot of Kent people coming to see me. I’m just gonna get the crowd going. I’m really funny, and Nick’s crowd is my crowd. We’re both alcoholics, and we’re both kind of slackers, so if they like Nick, they’ll probably like me. Nick’s more likable, I’m more of a dick.

Q: What do you do before a comedy show to prepare yourself?

A: I drink a bottle of Jager, and I watch “Bromance.”

Q: What advice would you give to Kent State students?

My advice is to stay in college as long as you can because the real world sucks. Why would you want to go and be unemployed in the real world?

Contact all correspondent Jackie McLean

at [email protected].