Flashes prep for farewell

Cody Erbacher

Six seniors to play final home game

Senior leadership has gone a long way for the Kent State men’s basketball team this season.

The Flashes wouldn’t be near their top position in the Mid-American Conference without the efforts of the seniors, who will be honored before this Saturday’s game against Miami for Senior Night.

The Flashes (21-8, 11-3 MAC), currently tied with rival Akron for first place in the MAC East, feature six seniors on the roster: guard Chris Singletary, forward Frank Henry-Ala, forward Anthony Simpson, guard Mike McKee, guard Tyree Evans and center Brandon Parks.

Here’s a list of what each senior has brought to the table in their final year for the Flashes.

Chris Singletary

When he’s not in the game, the Flashes’ offense struggles with consistency. His underrated ability to spread the ball throughout the offense provides a tough matchup for opponents because he also is one of the team’s leading shooters. Even without the ball, Singletary’s muscular 6-foot 4-inch, 220-pound frame makes it a challenge for defenders to size up to the guard offensively and defensively.

Frank Henry-Ala

No matter whom you ask on the team they will tell you that Henry-Ala is Flashes’ best defender. In the crucial minutes of the game when a defensive stop is needed, Henry-Ala will be on the floor.

Whenever there is an opponent that just cannot seem to be stopped, Henry-Ala will guard him. He may not post huge numbers on the stat sheet, but he does give the Flashes an edge on defense.

Mike McKee and

Tyree Evans

Both of the guards are placed in the same category because they are the players everyone looks to for a clutch 3-pointer. McKee and Evans spend a majority of their time behind the arc waiting for the time to arise for another outside shot. Whether a defender is playing tight defense or they’re left unguarded, these players know how to score.

Anthony Simpson

In the conversation of college big men, he is an exception. Simpson has the ability to back down any player and post numbers in the paint. But he has a jump shot to complement his post play that makes him difficult to matchup against. With that being said, he has arguably the best ability on the team to get the M.A.C. Center crowd to their feet with a powerful dunk.

Brandon Parks

He’s the big man down low with the sole responsibility of owning the post play on the court. Parks doesn’t have a consistent jump shot or the ability to throw down those high-flying dunks like Simpson, but he does have the size and the ability to defend the bigger post players in the MAC.

Contact sports reporter Cody Erbacher at [email protected].