Kent State’s March Madness

Cody Francis

Kent State’s March Madness

All sports fans have their favorite time of year.

All sports fans have their favorite time of year. Whether it’s MLB spring training, college football bowl season or the Super Bowl, there is always something to look forward to.

If you like sports at all, you like March Madness. Even if you haven’t watched a game all season, you will go to ESPN.com, do 20 minutes of research, fill out a bracket and act like you’re Dick Vitale when you’re talking to your friends, baby! With conference tournaments starting and the NCAA/NIT tournaments looming, Kent State basketball fans have a lot to anticipate (knock on wood) during March Madness.

But should March Madness at Kent State be all about basketball? Sure, both basketball teams have high expectations going into the Mid-American Conference tournaments next week, but let’s not forget about the “other” Kent State teams and players competing for titles.

Before the MAC basketball tournament even starts, the wrestling team will head to Central Michigan University this weekend to take its own shot at a conference title.

The No. 16 Flashes boast four wrestlers ranked in the top 15 in the nation, including sophomore Dustin Kilgore who is ranked No.1. No. 8 Danny Mitcheff will not only be competing for another trip to the NCAA tournament this weekend, but he looks to tie and even break the record for the most wins ever by a Kent State wrestler.

The women’s indoor track and field team already claimed its conference glory by winning the MAC championships this past weekend. The men’s team did its job as well by placing third in the meet. Princeton Bryson and Diana Dumitrescu earned Most Valuable Performer honors while Destin Heasley claimed Track Athlete of the Meet. The women’s team is also led by the MAC Coach of the Year in Bill Lawson.

To close out the month, the gymnastics team will look to win its third consecutive MAC crown. In the meantime, the team is hosting No. 12 Kentucky this Friday while trying to maintain a perfect conference record with two MAC meets remaining.

Now I’m not saying that you all should go to Central Michigan this weekend to support the wrestling team or drive to Arkansas to cheer on the track and field team at the NCAA Championships (but, by all means, go to anything if you can), I’m just asking that you simply don’t forget that we have other sports besides basketball.

Sure, we’re not Duke or Kansas or Kentucky, who have a legitamate shot at a national title but we have four teams that can win conference titles this month and one that already has. We have a wrestler that, by the time this season is over, could be the most successful wrestler in the history of our program. We have runners, throwers, jumpers, grapplers, floor exercisers, coaches, players and teams that are looking to bring pride and glory to Kent State this month. To me, that is the true definition of March Madness.

Contact sports editor Cody

Francis at [email protected].