Kent State Stark opens new Emporium Market

Kent State Stark celebrates the opening of the Emporium Market, Monday Sept. 16, 2019.

Kent State Stark opened the Emporium Market on Monday. Approximately 60 people attended the ribbon-cutting ceremony.

Kent Stark Dean Denise Seachrist and Resident District Manager of University Dining Services Mark Joyce spoke before the ribbon cutting.  

“While on our campus, we want (students) to feel connected and truly experience a sense of home,” Dean Seachrist said. “And, what do we often equate with home? Good food.”

Assistant Chef Kyle Paveloi said the differences students will see this semester include made-to-order, restaurant style entrees and appetizers, a vegetarian option every day (only available on Thursdays previously) and longer hours. 

Last semester, Paveloi noticed students were upset about the limited hours.

The Emporium Grille opens at 7:30 a.m. and will still close at 3:30 p.m., but the market will stay open until 5:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday. On Friday, the grill will open at 7:30 a.m. and close at 1:30 p.m. The market will close at 2:30 p.m.

“If you only have 15 minutes between classes, you can get in and out,” said senior Micaelah Morgan Abdul-Ali, a human development and family studies major. “The way they moved things around will reduce traffic.”

The Emporium Grille offers all the benefits of a full kitchen and now the market will have healthy, grab and go selections for students in a hurry. The new Emporium Grille and Market boasts extended hours, healthier and more diverse options. 

“Since we have been associated with Aramark they follow the American Heart Association’s nutrition guidelines. We are a lot more diligent on the nutrition side of it,” Paveloi said. 

Students said they noticed a price increase when Aramark took over last year, but this year they are seeing the prices go back down. 

A regional campus dining plan is available for purchase for the first time this semester. 

According to the Kent State website, the regional campus meal plan offers $165 in buying power for $180. The declining balance meal plan can be used at any regional campus dining location, including Ashtabula, East Liverpool, Regional Academic Center – Twinsburg, Salem, Stark, Tuscarawas, and Trumbull. Any unused portion of the declining balance will roll over to the next academic semester until the student leaves Kent State University.

Contact Elizabeth Gibbs at [email protected].