One step at a time: Find your resources

PARTA SATS Bus

PARTA SATS Bus

Michael Reiner

OPINION

I am a person with a disability, so sometimes I need help with things. Some of these things are simple, and some of them are time consuming.

But one thing is for sure: If I need assistance, I have to ask for it.

Kent State Student Accessibility Services (SAS) and Portage Area Regional Transit Authority (PARTA) both give me assistance whenever I need it.

Kent State SAS is a wonderful program that helps all registered students with disabilities on campus. Students can register for different accommodations such as housing needs, closed caption videos and even support animals. 

I receive extended time on all of my exams, if I need it, and this accommodation is critical to my success as a student. It often takes me longer to write by hand or type compared to other students. So having extended time on exams allows me to take my time and put forth my best effort. 

All of my professors are really understanding and supportive about this accommodation. They are willing to help out in any way possible. I am very grateful that the faculty at Kent State are dedicated to providing equal opportunities for students with disabilities. 

At times it is difficult for people with disabilities to get around Kent State’s large campus.

Some people with disabilities might have trouble getting from building to building.

But have no fear, PARTA is here!

PARTA is the primary transportation service for Kent State University students. Hundreds of students use the bus system on campus each day. 

People with disabilities ride a different style of bus. This bus is smaller in size and it has a wheelchair lift inside. The drivers drop their passengers off right at the door. 

This really worked out for me because I could get to class on time without walking long distances or fighting for a parking space with my car. My apartment complex is a part of the bus route, so all I did was walk outside and the driver picked me up. 

The best part is that all drop offs to locations on campus are absolutely FREE! 

Just kidding. That part of it is really cool, but the best part was all of the great experiences that I had on the road with the drivers. They are all very kind because they watched my back as I stepped inside to make sure that I wouldn’t fall. Some of them even walked me to the door and gave me an arm to lean on during the icy winter months. 

I can never thank everyone at PARTA enough because their accommodations helped me get a grasp on my new home. I have a really busy schedule this semester, so I am not going to use PARTA, but I might become a passenger during the harsh winter. One thing for sure is that PARTA will always be there to help me when I need it. 

The new school year is approaching rapidly so it is important that all KSU students with disabilities register for these services if they need them. PARTA has made my life a whole lot easier because of these services and I know from personal experience they could help you or someone you know. 

For more information on how to register for Kent State SAS, visit www.kent.edu/sas.

Michael Reiner is a columnist. Contact him at [email protected]