Gateway project renovations continue with Student Center

During Student Center construction, a burst pipe caused “relatively minimal” damage to the first floor, Executive Director of Facilities, Planning and Operations at Kent State Michael Bruder said. Taken on Tuesday, May 28, 2019. 

Sara Morse

The Kent State Student Center was one of the first buildings of the summer to receive renovations as part of the “Gateway to a Distinctive Kent State” project, otherwise known as the Master Plan.

Renovations to the Student Center second floor restrooms began early this summer with a budget of $490,000.

However, not all has gone to plan. During Student Center construction, a burst pipe caused “relatively minimal” damage to the first floor, Executive Director of Facilities, Planning and Operations at Kent State Michael Bruder said.

“We’ll have to essentially replace the ceiling and maybe do a little bit of painting,” Bruder said. “It was a construction mishap.”

The Student Center renovations are not formally listed, but are part of the Masterplan.

“In general, the Student Center rehabilitation is kind of the first phase of [the Master Plan],” Bruder said.

Bruder said phase one will focus on the Kent Market, the second floor dining area, as well as relocating the Design Innovation Hub in order to make more room for student organization and student engagement spaces. Phase one is expected to take place from now until 2020.

The Design Innovation Hub, which can be expected in fall 2020, will feature multiple dining spaces as well as create accessible spaces for students across all disciplines to work together.

Bruder said plans for phase two of Student Center construction have not yet been determined, but there are plans to continue the renovations from 2021 to 2023.

Sara Morse covers construction. Contact her at [email protected].

Corrections have been made to this story to reflect the correct timing and name of the construction project.