The Fashion School receives top badges of excellence

Sarah Arnold

Kent State’s School of Fashion was named one of the best fashion schools of 2019 by online fashion publication The Business of Fashion.

The undergraduate fashion design program is one of 37 schools in 14 countries honored with distinction and badges from three categories with best overall, best in learning experience and best in long-term value.

Senior fashion merchandising major Amanda Leon said the opportunities the school has to offer sets students apart from others.

“The fashion school here is like a hidden gem,” she said. “It sets fashion students up well for the future and job opportunities with its practical and hands-on work.”

The undergraduate fashion merchandising program was only one of three universities in the world to be honored badges in all four categories. Prior to the Business of Fashion changing their rankings, the fashion school was also most recently ranked 15 in the world and fifth in the nation.

Interim Director of The Fashion School Kim Hahn said the new ranking shows just how hard students work.

“The students work really hard and it shows in their work,” she said. “I think it’s a reward in itself to be able to attend a school that has received these badges. I’m so proud to be teaching here.”

Different from the past, the Business of Fashion used a new method of honoring universities with Badges of Excellence in four key areas, best overall, long-term value, learning experience and best global Influence, instead of numerical rankings.

According to their website, The Business of Fashion gathered a committee of 12 notable international fashion experts, students from around the world and collected data from dozens of fashion educators to complete an assessment of fashion schools from around the world.

Graduate assistant Maame Amoah said she looks forward to watching the fashion school continue to evolve.

“I am so proud to say I am a fashion student here,” she said. “I am excited to see what else the fashion school will offer in the future.”

Sarah Arnold covers student life. Contact her at [email protected].