Best Residence Hall

Centennial Court B on Kent State’s main campus in April 2017. FILE.

Lexi Marco

Best of Kent 2019

Winner: Centennial Courts

Some Centennials have shared bathrooms and others are more private, but students never share a bathroom with more than three other residents. Unlike the other five courts, Centennial C allows those who are 21 and older to have alcohol in their dorms.

Built in 2002, the Centennials are one of the newest residence halls on campus. The residence halls are just a short walk to Eastway and the Student Center, and an even shorter walk to Prentice Cafe and Rosie’s, making it a prime spot for all of the food places offered on campus.

Centennial offers an array of amenities from study rooms located on almost every floor. Each private bathroom is cleaned weekly by a custodian on staff.

Second: Eastway

Eastway is home to more than 240 first-year students. Freshmen most likely find themselves living at any of the four halls within Eastway: Manchester, Allyn, Clark and Fletcher.

“I liked how I could just walk downstairs and grab food at Eastway whenever I got hungry,” one voter said.

Each of the four halls are just a staircase away from the Eastway Market and Deli, making grocery shopping convenient for students living in the building.

Although Eastway is considered co-ed, each hall is separated — one side for gals, another side for guys.

Third: Tri-Towers and Stopper-Johnson (TIE)

Koonce, Leebrick, Korb and Wright Hall make up Tri-Towers, located in between Centennial Courts and Eastway. Apparently, choosing a residence hall was tough for our voters, as both Tri-Towers and Stopher-Johnson tied for third place.

Tri-Towers houses over 500 first-year and upper-class students and is home to a few different living-learning communities. 

Just like Eastway, those living in Tri-Towers are able to head downstairs to a dining hall located right in their own building.

Johnson and Stopher Hall are both part of “the Quad” of residence halls in the center of campus. However, these two buildings are home to strictly honors students.

Johnson Hall was originally built in 1956 and Stopher in 1949, but both were demolished and re-opened in 2006.

Johnson and Stopher “feature study and social lounges, fireplaces, common areas, laundry and kitchen facilities,” according to Kent State’s “housing” website.

For students, these residence halls are in a prime location to walk to class. Starbucks and Bent Tree are also close by, making it easier for students to get their caffeine fix.