Kent State’s Muslim, Sikh organizations hold first joint meeting

Cole King

Members of Kent State’s Muslim and Sikh student organizations discussed their experiences practicing their religions in the United States in their first ever joint meeting Monday, Feb. 25.

About 20 total followers from both religions attended, and staff from the organizations were pleased with the turnout. Several people who attended brought a friend with them.

Topics included: aspects of the faith incompatible with the world, being held back in daily life and in general due to their religions, questioning aspects of their religions due to society, discrimination from outsiders and the community, economic impacts due to their religions and how the culture behind their religions fits into everyday life.

“The fact that we are meeting on a Monday night, and two different organizations really speaks to the community in the religion and the goodness of our campus,” said Dr. Lamar Hyton, Kent State’s dean of students.

Those in attendance emphasized the feeling of togetherness they get from being members of organizations like these.

“Meeting different people, learning other beliefs, having similar problems and solutions makes you feel not alone,” said Ali Arif, senior integrated life sciences major and event planner for the Muslim Students Association.

The students used the word incompatible to describe their experiences practicing their religions in the United States. They felt that it was more inconvenient than anything else.

While the students said those who practice these religions may feel discriminated against and that “western civilization” needs to keep working for equality, they are still grateful to be here and practice their religion.

MSA holds meetings every Friday where they hope to continue having constructive and inspiring discussions.

Cole King covers religion. Contact him at [email protected]