Ohio history course to return to Kent State in Summer 2019

Kenneth Bindas, history professor, who will teach ‘Ohio, The Heart of It All.”

Carrie Whalen

Kent State’s history department will once again offer a course in Ohio history during the Summer 2019 intersession after a five-year hiatus.

“The course is designed to put Ohio at the center of American history,” said Kenneth Bindas, a professor in the department of history. “Ohio is the central area of the land in between.”

The course’s name, “Ohio, The Heart of It All,” was inspired by Ohio’s former slogan. 

Every major historical event that has taken place, except the arrival of slavery, has involved Ohio in some way, Bindas said. The course curriculum will develop around the students’ majors with the same material.

“If I have a lot of education students,” Bindas said, “I will gear the course towards them building curricular projects. If they are primarily history majors, then it’ll be toward a different angle.”

Last time Bindas taught the class, students “toured the world” by visiting different Ohio cities, such as Athens and Paris, named after European, Asian and South American cities and countries. Students had to figure out different connections between the city in Ohio and the country or city that inspired the name.

The class will take place May 20 through June 7 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Monday through Friday. 

Carrie Whalen covers social sciences. Contact her at [email protected].