Akron Invitational brings new program record to Kent

John Conley

Going into the final day at the Akron Invitational, 19 teams from surrounding universities competed to determine who would win the events held at Stile Athletic Fieldhouse Feb. 2.

Six Kent State athletes claimed victories in their respective events throughout the final day of the Akron Invitational .

19 teams competed in in the Stile Athletic Field house during the two-day invitational.

On the men’s side, Junior Christian Champen rose to the top of the record books at Kent State with a height of 17’-5.75” in the pole value, which is not only a new Kent State record but also ranks 18th on the national leaderboards.

Sophomore Jacob Mally took the Men’s Heptathlon Gold Division with a final score of 5,351 points. During Friday’s competition Mally took first place in the 60-meter dash, shot put, and second in the high jump, which was enough to give him first place heading into the last day. Mally finished with a personal-best in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.33, which earned him first place in the event as well. Mally also finished second in the pole value with a career-high height of 14’-5.25”. He also finished third-place in the 1,000 meters.

Mally’s 5,351 points rank seventh in the Kent State record books and tenth on the national scale.

On the women’s side, freshman Gabby Bailey won the shot put with a career-high distance of 49’-11.00”, a score that ranks tenth in Kent State history.   

Other Flashes got career-highs as well. Junior Rachel Banks took third place with a career best time of 2:10.45 in the 800-meter. Freshman Angelique Wong finished fourth in the 200-meter with a career-best 25.13 while sophomore Sarena Choi finished fifth while getting a career best mark of 18’-9.00” in the long jump.

Kent State’s next meet the Doug Raymond National Qualifier in the field house on Saturday.

John Conley is a sports reporter. Contact him at [email protected].