Student Multicultural Center, BUS celebrate 50th anniversary with museum

Banner with artifacts in the Student Multicultural Center.

The Student Multicultural Center and Black United Students celebrated their 50th anniversaries by setting up a one-day museum showcasing important historical moments for both groups Feb. 20.

The museum, located in the SMC lounge, presented videos and photos of BUS events. SMC showed a slideshow of other 50th anniversary events and had a table of African artifacts as well as a display case of artifacts from other cultures, such as a Native American doll.

“It’s always nice to see pictures from the past and see how things have changed or haven’t changed over time,” said Dartalia Alati, a senior journalism major and president of BUS.

The museum served as a way for BUS and SMC to celebrate both organizations reaching their 50th anniversary.

“We wanted to involve the SMC because we felt like that since we were both celebrating 50 years, we should be able to do that together,” Alati said.

Michael Daniels, assistant director of SMC, said they partnered with BUS because they wanted to showcase the historical events that happened between both organizations.

Kylie Angle, a junior early childhood education major, attended the museum for her cultural diversity class.

“I thought this would be one of the more important (events),” Angle said, citing the history behind SMC and BUS.

The videos, which focused mostly on BUS, stood out to Angle because they showcased everything the organization has achieved, which Angle believes is a more powerful method than just reading about its past.

Daniels hopes the museum sparks a discussion, going past the temporary museum setup and creating permanent interest.

“We want people to ask questions,” Daniels said.

Museum attendees had the opportunity to ask BUS and SMC questions by submitting written questions through a box or by tweeting the organizations.  

Alati said she was excited to see BUS is still prevalent on campus after 50 years after seeing the photos.

“It’s really exciting to think about how BUS is still here as an organization and how we’re still trying to be and hopefully succeeding being a safe space for black students on this campus,” Alati said.

Kimberly Fisher is a general assignment reporter. Contact her at [email protected].

Jada Miles covers student life. Contact her at [email protected].