Fashion/Tech Hackathon looks forward to sixth year of innovation

Then-fashion design major Olivia Kissenger sews a design for pants to have a discreet, built-in knee brace for the Fashion/Tech Hackathon in Rockwell Hall Saturday, Jan. 28, 2017. 

Sophia Iannelli

Students from across the country will learn new skills and create innovative wearable technology at the sixth annual Fashion/Tech Hackathon this weekend.

Participants will compete in teams, spending 36 hours developing a technology-enhanced garment. In 2018, more than 150 students from over 35 colleges and universities nationwide competed for top prizes.

Katie Tabesh, a sophomore fashion merchandising major, will be competing in her second Hackathon this year. Last year, Tabesh and her tech team thought of the idea to insert a chip into the tags of clothing to help the user better match outfits and keep track of what’s in their closet.

“It was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had,” Tabesh said. “Everyone was throwing in ideas and actually using them which I thought was really cool.”

Participants will be granted access to the TechStyleLAB in Rockwell Hall’s digital textile fabrication space, along with free electronic and textile materials.

The Hackathon is a partnership of the TechStyleLAB and Kent State’s LaunchNET, and will take place at Rockwell Hall from Jan. 25 to Jan. 27.

The free event will be open to students of all majors and includes meals throughout the weekend. Participants are able to sleep in the fashion building to make the most of their 36-hour working period.

For more information and to register visit the website here.

Contact Sophia Iannelli at [email protected].