Kent State student charged following assault on three KSU police officers

Former Kent State student Natalia Welton-Torres.

Ella Abbott

Natalia Welton-Torres, a senior Kent State aeronautics student, was indicted on three charges of assault after she allegedly attempted to harm three Kent State police officers (KSUPD) Sept. 9.

Welton-Torres allegedly pushed and punched Officer Joseph Knotek twice in the arm and shoulder and attempted to strike his face, according to the police report. Welton-Torres also allegedly spit in Officer Brittnee Wolf’s face and neck, as well as bit her forehead. She allegedly kicked Officer Trevor White in the chest twice.

The incident occurred on the Esplanade near South Lincoln Street.

Following her arrest, Welton-Torres was transported to University Hospitals and was then transported back to the KSUPD for booking and finally to the Portage County Sheriff’s Office for commitment to jail.

A family member posted $500 bond for Welton-Torres’ release.

William Settina, Welton-Torres’ defense attorney, said he’s working with the prosecutor to find a resolution before the case goes to trial.

The criminal pre-trial hearing was initially scheduled for December, but Settina motioned to have the trial date changed with Welton-Torres waving her right to a speedy trial.

The case will be presided over by Judge Laurie Pittman in the Portage County Court of Common Pleas.

The pre-trial hearing is now set for Feb. 13, with the jury trial set to begin on Feb. 20.

Ella Abbott is a senior reporter. Contact her at [email protected].