USG paid comedian John Mulaney $150K

John+Mulaney

John Mulaney

Alexandra Sobczak

Kent State paid stand-up comedian John Mulaney $150,000 for his performance at the M.A.C. Center Nov. 25., according to a contract obtained by KentWired.

The Undergraduate Student Government also paid $15,000 to Mulaney’s agent, Matthew Walt of Articulate Entertainment, according to another contract requested by KentWired in November.

USG made $137,780 in ticket sales from Mulaney’s show.

3,532 total tickets were sold, including 2,475 tickets to Kent State students, 942 to members of the public and 115 given out as complimentary tickets, said Eric Mansfield, the executive director of university media relations, in an email.

Student ticket prices were $30 for upper bowl seats and $40 for lower bowl and floor seats. Public ticket prices were $50. Although students received a discount on tickets compared to members of the public, they paid out of pocket for tickets.

The USG budget for programming was approximately $384,000 this academic year, Mansfield said in an email. This budget is funded by allocation of student fees issued by the university.

In 2016, Kesha and PartyNextDoor performed at a combined concert. Kent State paid Kesha $100,000 and PartyNextDoor $75,000, according to two contracts obtained by KentWired in 2016. When Kevin Hart performed in 2014, the university paid him $120,000, according to his contract.

Mulaney’s contract included that only catalogued David Bowie songs would be played while the audience was entering the M.A.C. Center.

It also included that Mulaney’s dressing room must have six water bottles — “(No Dasani/Aquafina/mini bottles)” at room temperature; six cans of refrigerated Coke; a Nutribullet, Vitamix or blender with frozen blueberries, almond milk and a box of mixed greens; and a loaf of whole wheat bread with a jar of peanut butter and turkey slices. The dressing room also had to have “several sheets of plain white paper and one black sharpie.”

Alexandra Sobczak is a general assignment reporter. Contact her at [email protected].

// <![CDATA[ // &lt;![CDATA[ // &amp;lt;![CDATA[ // &amp;amp;lt;![CDATA[ DV.load(“https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/5686581-CSI-Contract-Riley-Entertainment-Inc-Redacted.js”, { responsive: true, container: “#DV-viewer-5686581-CSI-Contract-Riley-Entertainment-Inc-Redacted” }); // ]]&amp;amp;gt; // ]]&amp;gt; // ]]&gt; // ]]> CSI Contract Riley Entertainment, Inc Redacted (PDF)
CSI Contract Riley Entertainment, Inc Redacted (Text)