Kent State Professor recognized with HIMSS Most Influential Women award

Lexi Marco

This year, Christine Hudak, professor and health informatics concentration coordinator, received one of the HIMSS 2019 Most Influential Women in Health IT Awards.

Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society, otherwise known as HIMSS, annually awards women for their impact across the health information technology industry.

Hudak, who has been working in health informatics for over 25 years, began working at Kent State in 2012. Hudak is also a HIMSS Fellow and mentors men and women in the healthcare field.

Hudak works to educate and build relationships with her students. She sees value in her students and works closely with them as a mentor in the health informatics industry.

“At this point, they’re more than just my students,” Hudak said. “But, I rely on my students a lot, too. They help me keep up with what’s going on in the industry.”

Hudak even had previous students message and congratulate her after hearing about her award status. Students often reach out to Hudak to thank her for teaching them about health informatics.

“I think you make an impression on people when you teach them and you mentor them,” Hudak said. “Students end up talking about you. I have a student from one of my very first classes who still calls me her mentor.”

Outside of teaching, Hudak acts as a peer reviewer for multiple medical journals, including the Journal for Nursing Measurement, Journal of Professional Nursing and the Journal of American Psychiatric Nurses Association.

Stephanie Denvir, a senior director, strategic relations at HIMSS said this year’s awards honor women for their accomplishments advancing and improving health care and technology.

Of the 200 people nominated, Hudak is one of five women from across the nation who received the award.

Hudak will be honored during the Awards Gala at HIMSS19 on Wednesday, Feb. 13, in Orlando, Fla.

Lexi Marco is the health reporter. Contact her at [email protected].