Kent State hosts free depression screenings

Madeline Pigott

Kent State will host free depression screenings on Thursday, Oct. 18 in order to combat mental health.

The screenings will happen on the second floor mezzanine level of the Kent Student Center and will run from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. National Depression Screening Day is open to all students, staff and faculty. For those unable to attend, there is also an online screening module that is free and confidential.

Dr. John Schell, a senior psychologist for UHS and Psychological Services, understands college is a very stressful time for students. The demands of college can sometimes be too much for a student who is having trouble with the increased academic and social expectations.

“This stress can negatively affect a student’s mental health, and if a student does not find a constructive way to cope with the stress, it can result in a variety of mental health concerns,” he said.

National Depression Screening Day raises awareness of mental health issues. This event is put on so students have the opportunity to be screened for depression, bipolar disorder, generalized anxiety disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder. The goal is for students to understand more about mental health issues and to be aware of the things they need to do in order to stay healthy. Mental health not only affects one’s quality of life but also one’s ability to be successful in school.

The screening will take roughly 15 minutes. It’ll start with completing a form, which rates various behavior and symptoms students may be experiencing. The form will then be scored and participants will be given the opportunity to meet with a clinician. The clinician will then provide feedback to the participants and refer them to one of the clinics on campus and additional resources if needed.

There are three clinics on campus in which counseling is available: Psychological Services located in the DeWeese Health Center, the Psychological Clinic located in Kent Hall and the Counseling Center located in White Hall.

Kent State University has participated in National Depression Screening Day for 24 years.

Madeline Pigott is the Mental Health and Social Services reporter. Contact her at [email protected].