Women’s field hockey extends win streak to three, drops game against OSU

Freshman Helena Cambra Soler passes the ball during Kent State field hockey’s match against Northwestern University on Sept. 4, 2018. Kent State lost 4-2.

Amanda Levine

The Kent State field hockey team (5-10, 3-1 Mid-American Conference) looked to extend their two-game win streak as they took on Ball State (2-11, 2-2) and Ohio State (10-6) this weekend

Kent State 4, Ball State 0

The Flashes strong offensive first half was more than enough against Ball State on Friday scoring four goals in the first half.

“(We have been) working on our basics in our discipline and just building performance,” coach Kathleen Wiler said.

In the 23rd minute, freshman midfielder Helena Cambra Soler passed the ball to sophomore back Hailie Balachick to score the first goal of the game. It was Balachick’s second goal of the season. Wasting no time, Jessica Apelt received a pass from Emma Bressler to score her third goal of the season to make it 2-0 in the 27th minute.

“Right now I’m just looking forward to putting on good performances together,” Wiler said. “(The) team’s playing with confidence and it’s really important.”

Later in the first half, junior forward Laila Richter set up the goal for senior forward Helen Harper, who scored her first goal of the season. Three minutes later the Flashes lined up for another corner goal. Sophomore back Clara Rodriguez Seto passed the pall to sophomore midfielder Ashley Bonetz who lined up the shot for sophomore back Emma Bressler. It was Bressler’s second goal of the season.

The Flashes out shot the Cardinals 12-5, with junior goalie Mary Crumlish tallying two saves.

Ohio State 4, Kent State 0

Kent State’s three-game win streak ended on Sunday against Ohio State.

The Buckeyes scored two goals in the first half, when Katie Pyle received a pass from Sina Schwinn to score the first goal of the game. In the 24th minute, Emma Goldean scored the second goal and was assisted by Sammy Stone.

Ohio State was able to hold off the Flashes to no shots on goal, while the Flashes faced six shots on goal. Crumlish tallying three saves.

In the second half the Buckeyes added on again in the 61st minute of the game with a goal from Nikki Trzasaka. Genevieve Penzone got the assist on the play. With 16 seconds left, Ohio State scored again by Whitney Harris and was assisted by Sammy Stone.

Kent State has three games left in the season and are currently No.2 in the division. Wiler says that the game next weekend against Ohio University is, “a really important game.”

“I think we just want to make sure we put ourselves in the position in the conference to be top two,” Wiler said.

The Flashes will be away next weekend as they take on Ohio University (4-8, 2-2 MAC) Friday at 3 p.m. at Pruitt Field.