Kent State VCD professor dies unexpectedly

Christopher Darling, an assistant professor of visual communication design at Kent State, died unexpectedly this weekend. 

Henry Palattella

Update: Darling’s funeral service will be held at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Cleveland Heights on Friday. A viewing will be held at noon with a service at 1:30 p.m., and will be followed by a burial and reception at the church.  

Christopher Darling, an assistant professor of visual communication design at Kent State, died unexpectedly this weekend, according to emails sent to VCD students and College of Communication and Information faculty.

The email did not state Darling’s cause of death. 

According to his personal website, Darling received an MFA in Illustration as Visual Essay and a Paula Rhodes Award for Exceptional Achievement in Visual Essay from the School of Visual Arts in New York City. 

Darling’s most recent work to be shown at Kent was Gone. Expressions of Incarceration in America, which was displayed in the VCD gallery. 

According to the email, there is currently no information regarding Darling’s funeral services.

Prior to being at Kent, Darling taught illustration & design at Queens College in New York City.  

In an email to CCI faculty, Dean Amy Reynolds said, “If you knew Christopher, then you knew he was a remarkably talented and gifted illustrator, professor and person. He was committed to social justice issues and he was a passionate advocate for those without a voice in society. … Please join me in keeping Christopher’s family, especially his wife Elaine and our VCD colleagues and students, in our hearts and minds.”

Henry Palattella is the editor. Contact him at [email protected].