Phi Gamma Delta returns to Kent State

Members of Fiji pose for a photo.

Hana Hodali

Phi Gamma Delta has made a come back at Kent State University.

Phi Gamma Delta, or otherwise known as “Fiji,” has welcomed their first pledge class of founding fathers.

Fiji was first introduced to campus in 1960, but their charter was later revoked due to low membership in 1980.

Phi Gamma Delta’s Corresponding Secretary, Isaac Yost said after the May 4 shooting, the university experienced a decline in student enrollment, which made it difficult for fraternities to recruit new members. At the time of their departure, Phi Gamma Delta was left with just four members.

At the start of this semester, expansion consultants from the organization’s national headquarters came to Kent State with the intentions to re-colonize.

Phi Gamma Delta President, Ryan Spake, said he first came in contact with consultants as they were tabling on campus, and wanted to learn more about what the organization had to offer, so he attended an information session.

“After attending (the information session), and meeting some of the guys at the Akron chapter, I really identified with Fiji and what the organization stands for,” Spake said.

“I think something I really liked about joining a newer fraternity was being able to shape the organization into what we want it to be,” Yost said. “I would say we’re an accepting group of guys who value diversity within our organization.”

With 14 current members, Phi Gamma Delta has already established a strong bond between their members and are excited to meet prospective members who share their same values.

Their ideal prospects are men who are actively involved on campus, have leadership qualities and preferably hold a minimum GPA of 3.0.

“We consider ourselves to be a cut above the rest. We want men who hold themselves to that same standard,” Yost said.

Nationally, Phi Gamma Delta has worked with philanthropies including, Donate Life, United Services Organization and the American Red Cross. Kent State’s chapter is actively looking for other nonprofits to partner with for the upcoming years.

Anyone interested in learning more information about the colony can contact Phi Gamma Delta’s Recruitment Chair, Nick Morris, at [email protected] or  following them on social media @KentStateFiji.

Hana Hodali is the Greek life reporter. Contact her at [email protected].