Best of Kent: Best Place to Have Fun Under 21

Chloe Forbes

First PlaceKent Lanes

Kent Lanes has something new to offer every night of the week with their themes, music and food. It’s always something different but it’s always something fun.

Low prices and specials are geared towards all age groups, while the nightly bowling and music is more accommodating toward students.

“It’s a good physical activity to do, especially in the winter,” said Owner Jim Palmer. “It’s very unique in regard to other entertainment in that way.”

Palmer said the moonrock bowling in the evenings where they only have black lights and disco lights illuminating the lanes, is very popular with Kent State students.

There are also food and drink specials every night of the week. The menu includes burgers, sandwiches, wings, salads and over 20 different appetizers to share with friends.

In addition, Kent Lanes has professional-grade outdoor beach volleyball courts for when the weather gets warmer. Known as SPIKERS Volleyball Complex, customers can play volleyball then visit the outdoor Tiki Bar for food and drinks.

“You can come with a group of people and it’s relatively inexpensive to have a good time,” Palmer said. “It’s definitely a fun atmosphere.”

Second PlaceBrewhouse Pub

Located on N. Water Street, Brewhouse Pub is a hot spot for students.

Being the only bar in Kent to allow those 18 and older in, students under 21 can experience what college nightlife is like.

For a $5 cover fee, the Brewhouse offers DJ music, pool tables and plenty of room to dance. In addition, Thursdays are Ladies’ Nights at the Brewhouse as ladies can get in without a cover charge.

Brewhouse also has food in their pub area for students who want a bite to eat before hitting the dance floor.

Third PlaceKent Plaza Theater

This family-owned business is a great place for students to catch the latest box office hits.

With offers like $6.50 for any movie on Tuesday night if you show your student ID, the Kent Plaza Theater is a popular hangout.

In addition, the theater is currently being renovated to include reclining leather seats so customers can relax and enjoy their movie in comfort.

Manager Dillon Oliver said the family-owned aspect is what really sets Kent Plaza Theater apart from other destinations in the area.

“It makes it a little more down to earth,” Oliver said.

Chloe Forbes is a feature writer. Contact her at [email protected].