The Net Gala celebration promotes networking among students, minority-owned businesses

Francesca Barrett

As those at The Net Gala rose from their seats and gathered toward the center of the room, they were shaking hands and sharing embraces of congratulations.

The Network, a new organization on campus that works to promote minority- owned businesses and share the importance of networking opportunities, had elected their executive board for the upcoming year, and now the organization could unwind for the rest of the evening.

The Network celebrated the end of the year and the organization’s first official semester on campus with The Net Gala on Saturday night.

The night included a keynote speaker, food and the chance to network with business professionals, along with the introduction of The Network’s next executive board for the fall.

Mya Pitts, a sophomore business management major, shared how the evening went at the gala.

“We wanted to end our year with something that would not only celebrate The Network, but all of our work throughout the year,” Pitts said. “This was based on the Met Gala, but it is more business-like and as a networking opportunity.”

Pitts explained the event’s happenings, starting at the beginning of the night and sharing about the keynote speaker.

“At first, our whole board was a little nervous because not many people showed up,” Pitts said. “But slowly and sure enough, we had more people show up than we expected to come.”

Junior accounting and finance double major Braxton Wallace was elected to be the president for The Network this fall.

“In my opinion, tonight went really well. We had an amazing turnout for the event,” Wallace said. “I hope The Net Gala really started the buzz about our organization here on campus, and now I hope students will be talking about us and see what our organization could provide for them.”

Wallace explained that the organization is looking to expand not only beyond business majors, but in diversity as well.

“I would say one of my goals for the organization would be to have The Network to reach out to students that aren’t business majors,” Wallace said. “We have some psychology majors, but we want people that maybe are first-generation students, or members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and show that we are a positive, diverse and welcoming organization.”

Francesca Barrett is the student finance reporter. Contact her at [email protected].