College of Aeronautics and Engineering announces new undergraduate programs

FANUC arm Professor Darwin Boyd and two of his students.

Moira Reed

New bachelor degrees in computer technology, mechanical engineering and mechatronics engineering technology will be added to the College of Aeronautics curriculum this fall.

This is all subject to approval by the state of Ohio, according to interim director for applied engineering Jackie Ruller.

“Kent State was chosen to modify the curriculum to meet industry needs and keep the material relevant,” Ruller said. “We were no longer in compliance with the state, we did not have the correct number of courses in order to stay on track.”

Mechatronics is the newest additional major, which is a technology that combines electronics and mechanical engineering.

“In our case, we have concentrations, followed by certain rules we must follow; meaning a certain number of courses have to be the same for the following degrees: computer engineering technology, mechanical engineering and mechatronics engineering technology,” Ruller said.

Because of the Ohio Department of Higher Education (ODHE) state rules, these concentrations could not stay as concentrations and had to move to their own major.

“Students will have the choice to update their catalog year effective fall 2018, but will not be required to,” said Heather Ryan, senior advisor for the College of Aeronautics and Engineering. “It is their personal preference.”

Additionally, the college plans to add a new concentration called foundry technology, Ruller said.

Foundry technology focuses on the process of combining and solidifying metals into everyday consumer products.

“We try to make sure all freshman and posperstibe students are informed before starting their first semester at Kent State,” Ryan said.

Curriculum is subject to change at any time, so the College of Aeronautics and Technology makes sure it is on top of all updates to ensure students are receiving the proper education and taking the required classes to graduate, Ryan said.

All approvals will be sent together, and will be viewed together by the ODHE for new concentrations.

“We are hoping our enrollment will increase when these programs have become their own major,” Ruller said. “Future or potential students will be looking more and it will gain more exposure to the School of Aeronautics and engineering,” Ruller said.

Moira Reed is the construction reporter. Contact her at [email protected]