Kent State announces four-day fall break starting next semester

Provost Todd Diacon speaks at the Faculty Senate meeting, Monday, Feb. 10, 2014.

Lydia Taylor

Kent State will no longer be one of four Ohio universities without a fall break, according to an email sent by the Office of the Provost.

It will be a four-day break, in which classes will not be held Thursday, Oct. 11, and Friday, Oct. 12. University employees will still be required to report to work.

Because of the change, first-year students will move in Sunday, Aug. 19, and the first day of classes will begin Thursday, Aug. 23. The email also revealed the new name of Welcome Weekend — KSU Kickoff — which will run from Aug. 20-22.

“Fall semester covers 16 weeks, and currently, students do not have a break until 13 weeks into the term when the Thanksgiving holiday occurs. We believe this is too long for students — especially students in their first semester of university life — without an opportunity for any type of intermission,” wrote Provost Todd Diacon and Vice President of Student Affairs Shay Little. “Instituting this mid-term break will allow students the opportunity for a respite from class time, allowing them time to catch up on their studies and complete any out-of-class work that may be required.”

Diacon proposed a changed to the 2017-18 academic calendar last February, but the Faculty Senate didn’t approve the measure with concerns of losing hours in the classroom, which could change curriculum. In its first meeting of the semester last month, the Faculty Senate vented the same frustrations.

Diacon and Little wrote the change is apart of the Students First initiative.

“ … we look forward to welcoming the upcoming academic year with renewed purpose, energy and focus,” wrote Diacon and Little.

The only universities in Ohio without a fall break include The University of Akron, Wright State University and Youngstown State University.

Lydia Taylor is the editor. Contact her at [email protected].