Kent State Alumni Association will hold its 10th annual service event this spring

Moira Reed

Alumni service day gives former flashes a chance to reconnect with old friends while helping out the local Kent area community.

“We are expecting over 500 alumni across the country and internally to participate, said associate director of Alumni Relations Joy Wesoloski. “Alumni are able to volunteer at various nonprofit organizations like food banks, zoos, parks and more.”

All sites have different timeframes for volunteers. However, most people generally stay around two to four hours, Wesoloski said. 

Because of their partnership with Community Engaged Learning on campus with their Super Service Saturday, alumni have the opportunity to volunteer alongside Kent State University students.

Community Engaged Learning, a student run organization, focuses on volunteer-based activities and providing a service to a number of non-profit organizations in Northeast Ohio.

“For the 10th anniversary we provided opportunities to volunteer with current KSU students. We have more sites than ever over 50 sites to volunteer at in new locations. The share your project opportunity is also new this year,” Wesoloski said. 

All participants and volunteers will be encouraged to share photos from the event on various social media platforms using the hashtag #flashesgiveback. 

The last day to sign up to be a volunteer will be April 9. 

“I am looking forward to sharing in this experience and creating new memories with fellow members of Kent State’s alumni community,” Wesoloski said.

Moira Reed is the construction reporter. Contact her at [email protected].