Flashes split weekend series with Oswego State


Kent State forward TJ West carries the puck through the offensive zone during the Flashes’ 9-2 victory over John Carroll on Friday, Jan. 19, 2018. [FILE]

Ian Kreider

Kent State’s (21-6-1) weekend series against Oswego State (9-14-0) showed mixed results.

The Flashes beat the Lakers Friday night, 7-0. They jumped out to the early 1-0 lead in the first period. Lucas Ethington scored the first goal of the game five minutes and nine seconds into the first period.

The Flashes later extended the lead in the second period.

Senior forward Jake Hainline and junior defensemen Jake Parry assisted on sophomore forward Rubin Chavarria’s goal to put the Flashes up, 2-0, 52 seconds into the second period. Hainline assisted two more goals in the period. Hainline and senior forward Kyle Schaefer assisted on another Chavarria goal six minutes and 50 seconds into the second period.

The Flashes would add two more goals in the period by freshman defenseman Ryan Wonfor and senior forward John Buttitta.

Kent State was up, 5-0, after two periods.

Hainline scored a goal nine minutes and 54 seconds into the third period to make the score 6-0 to Kent State. Sophomore forward Steve Frankel added another goal to bring it to 7-0, the game’s final score. The Flashes were led by Hainline’s goal and two assists.

However, Saturday night would be a different story. The Lakers would not be denied in their unlikely upset effort against No. 19 Kent State.

Kent State came out aggressive in the first period, grabbing an early 1-0 lead after senior forward Chance Taylor and senior defenseman Mike Sullivan assisted freshman forward Dan Nugent’s goal.

Oswego State would knot it up at one after scoring with just two seconds remaining in the period, despite the Flashes more than doubling their shots on goal total for the period (21-9).

Kent State came out sluggish in the second period until 4:39 left when Buttitta poked in a rebound to put the Flashes up 2-1.

However, Oswego State would answer later in the period.

The Lakers would score 15 minutes and 32 seconds into the period to make the score 2-2. Shortly after, with a 1:41 left in the second period, they took a 3-2 lead into intermission with one period left to play.

The Flashes trailed, 3-2, after two periods despite still doubling Oswego State’s shots on goal (36-18).

Oswego State would add another goal early in the third period to extend its lead to 4-2. Kent State pulled its goalie with 2:07 left in the third period to add an extra attacker. This strategy would net them one more goal with 1:25 left. They almost poked the puck in with 20 seconds remaining, but it was ruled out, and the Flashes never got another chance.

As the buzzer sounded, the Lakers celebrated around their net and the Flashes lost their second meeting with Oswego State, 4-3, on a night when they dominated in shots on goal and pressure on the net.

Kent State continues its season against Mercyhurst University (13-10-4) at a time to be determined on Friday inside the Mercyhurst Center.

Ian Kreider is a sports reporter. Contact him at [email protected].