Kent State’s Homecoming week begins with Flashbash

Rocky Gibson, a junior nursing major, poses with a cut out at FlashBash, an event that kicks off homecoming week on Monday, Oct. 9, 2017.

Taryn Antolic

Carnival vibes filled the air at the Student Center Ballroom Monday as games were played and fair foods were enjoyed for the homecoming kickoff event FlashBash.

Raffle baskets were auctioned off to the students who completed their Flashbash “passport.”

Each student was given a small card upon arrival that was numbered from one to seven. When a student played one of the carnival games, a member of the Student Homecoming Committee checked off one of the numbers.

After all seven were checked off, the card could be used as a raffle entry for one of the auction baskets. The baskets included prizes such as a Keurig, a polaroid camera and Kent State gear. 

Marissa Miller, a senior sports administration major, is the FlashBash chair of the Student Homecoming Committee. She was responsible for planning the event.

“The event turned out amazing,” Miller said. “We are thinking we had about 500 people attend, which is great for the first event to kick off homecoming week. The event went well beyond my expectations. I don’t think it could have gone any better and everyone who attended seemed to have an amazing time.”

Sarah Holley, a sophomore communication studies major, attended the event with her friends. She heard about the event from the Kent State Snapchat story.

“It was just as fun as last year,” Holley said. “I loved the photo booth. I also really liked the different baskets. I think they do really well with programming and getting the word out about the different events of the week. Plus, free stuff. People are going to show up for the free things.”

Miller said she would not have changed anything about the event itself, but would want to work on advertising more for next year.

“I want it to be bigger and better next year and for years to come,” Miller said. “This is only the start and I think we did something amazing tonight.”

Kent State’s Student Homecoming Committee is responsible for planning and executing all of Homecoming Week.

Dominique Wilson, a senior integrative studies major, is the current president of the committee.

“I got involved with the committee my sophomore year after I saw the online application,” Wilson said. “I enjoy having creative freedom.” 

Miller joined the committee to get more involved on campus. It allowed her to gain confidence by holding a position on the committee and getting to know strangers who later became her friends. She is interested in event planning in the future and said planning Flashbash gave her the opportunity to practice that.

Wilson said the committee’s goal for next year is to recruit more people. 

“This committee is different from other clubs because it is not as strict and you can come and have fun while also being productive,” Wilson said. “I have learned that even the smallest and unlikeliest of ideas can turn into something great.”

Taryn Antolic is the student life reporter. Contact her at [email protected].