Students dance for health at Zombie Zumb-A-Thon

Students and community members dance during the Zombie Zumba-thon at the Rec Thursday, Oct. 26, 2017.

Kassandra Kaczmarek

Students grooved into the Halloween spirit Thursday for Zombie Zumb-A-Thon at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center.

Zumba dance instructors taught a free two-hour session to raise money for Akron Children’s Hospital.

“There are multiple instructors here so you get to see all of them,” said Janel Lamar, an exercise instructor. “Each instructor has their own style and flavor, so it gives you the opportunity to test it out and find what fits your style.”

The event began with a choreographed number featuring all the instructors dancing to Michael Jackson’s “Thriller.” The rest of the night, instructors switched out teaching a mix of regular and Halloween-themed dances.

Lamar led dances to Halloween songs like “Witch Doctor” and “Time Warp.”

“It really gives people a chance to be creative, however they see fit. It is a lot of fun,” said Rachel Suter, a junior psychology major and Zumba instructor.

Zumb-A-Thon is directly linked to the Flashathon 12-hour dance event that takes place in the spring.

The instructors were dressed as zombies, and some participants dressed as cats or Wonder Woman.

The event was not just for Kent State students. Kristin Castilow and Destiny Denton found the event on Facebook and decided to bring their kids. 

“There should be more events like this; the zombies are just an added fun benefit,” Castilow said. “It is nice because you aren’t forced to pay and the donation is for a good cause.”

Kassandra Kaczmarek is an arts and entertainment reporter. Contact her at [email protected].