Sex Week kicks off with Condoms on the K

Clara Varndell, a sophomore public health major, adjusts her “condom fairy” wings during Condoms on the K Monday, Oct. 23, 2017. The event kicked off Kent Interhall Council’s annual Sex Week.

Kassandra Kaczmarek

Dressed in a tutu covered in condoms, the “condom fairy,” known formerly as Clara Varndell, a sophomore public health major, passed out an assortment of condoms Monday in order to educate students on safe sex.

Kent Interhall Council kicked off the first day of Sex Week 2017 Monday with the annual Condoms on the K event in Risman Plaza.

“I have been the condom fairy since my junior year of high school,” Varndell said. “I would buy hundreds of condoms and give them to my friends to promote safe sex and prevent pregnancy and the spread of sexually transmitted infections.”

This year’s Sex Week theme is Donuts — ”A hole lot of fun.”

“Each year, (KIC) comes up with a different sexually oriented theme, without being too out there,” said Mary Simon, a junior psychology major. Last year’s theme was Mermaids and Seamen,” 

Members of KIC and even some volunteers joined to pass out a variety of different condoms to students passing by Risman Plaza.

Corey McGinnis, a freshman College of the Arts general major, was passing by and decided to join in and help out.

“I want to attend all of the events for Sex Week,” McGinnis said. “It is a good week to learn about safe sex and different kinds of sex, as well as sexuality. I am especially excited for the drag show because I watch RuPaul’s religiously.”

This year the organization was able to bring RuPaul’s Drag Race Queen, Aja, for the drag show. It is the first time they will have a celebrity at the event.

“You don’t have to be having sex to be involved in Sex Week,” said Celina Soussou, a junior education major. “We are here to encourage students to talk about the subject. Students who are talking about sex are talking about safe sex.”

In the past, this event has been held in the middle of Sex Week.

“Last year, Condoms on the K was done on a Wednesday, and it was just passing out condoms,” said John McDermott, a sophomore marketing major and KIC programming director.

“I thought it would be a good idea to make it on Monday so that we could also pass out flyers with information for all of the events throughout the week.”

A schedule of sex week activities is available on the KIC website.

Kassandra Kaczmarek is an arts and entertainment reporter. Contact her at [email protected]