Students weigh in on Constitution Day

Treasure Tvaroch

Rachel Duthie

People across the country celebrated the signing of the U.S. Constitution on Monday.

The holiday, known formally as Constitution Day, commemorates the 39 men who formed and signed the U.S. Constitution on Sept. 17, 1787, granting citizenship and basic human rights to all those who were living in America.

Years later, the document remains not only one of the most celebrated works in U.S. history, but also as a source of controversy and debate for Americans who question its relevance in an evolving world.

The Kent Stater asked students what the constitution means to them, and how the Founding Fathers would feel about the political climate today. Here is what they said:

Treasure Tvaroch, senior psychology major:

“The fact that I live in a good country and everything can go smoothly for everybody is great. I appreciate it, and I love how the Constitution has made it possible for me to live a very good life.”

Liza Henriquez, senior english major:

“I hope that the Founding Fathers would be sad about what is happening, since they were a country that immigrated here originally. That is how they got settled. I hope that they are sad with the treatment immigrants are getting nowadays.”

Brandon Lee, junior accounting major:

“It’s what we live by. It’s how our country was founded. (People who wrote the Constitution) wouldn’t like it too much now. Too much one side or another, no one meeting in the middle or talking about things. They are doing what people want to vote for them.”

Journi Reese, freshman biology major:

“It doesn’t mean too much to me. We studied it a lot in school and history class and pretty much how it contributes to history, I guess.”

Samuel Smith, freshman anthropology major:

“Without it, the United States today wouldn’t be the United States. A lot of people come from different countries, and we also have today’s citizens who live in today’s country that want to express their freedom. We have freedom of speech, freedom to assembly, freedom to speak our minds without looking behind our backs all the time.”

Rachel Duthie is the features editor. Contact her at [email protected].