A guide to the resources available to Kent State students

Kaylee Peterson

At Kent State, there are an abundance of offices created for the sole purpose of helping students get what they need from their academic experience, but determining which office to go to can be difficult.

Academic Support

For those struggling with classes, the Academic Success Center might be a helpful support system. There are several different options offered through the Academic Success Center.

Supplemental Instruction (SI) is a way to make those big lecture hall classes feel a little bit smaller. SI leaders, students who have already taken the course and received an A or A-, lead the weekly sessions and aim to help you study for tests, learn note-taking strategies and review the concepts they learned during the week in class.

Mason McLeod, a junior psychology major, said Supplemental Instruction was a big help in his first few semesters.  

“SI tutoring saved my grade,” McLeod said. “It introduced me to the idea that tutoring didn’t have to be one-on-one and was the furthest thing from shameful, especially since it helped me so much.”

If students’ class isn’t associated with an SI session, tutoring may help. The Academic Success Center offers drop-in tutoring (primarily for mathematics and science courses), Scheduled Tutoring and Online Tutoring.

Students who are still having trouble with courses could seek Academic Coaching. This is mainly focused for those who have difficulty with the transition between high school and college. 

The Writing Commons is the office where students can gain help with research and paper-writing. The tutors there will help them brainstorm, research and revise papers — but it is not an editing service, and workers won’t write papers for them. These services are designed to teach students how to become a better writer.

If students participated in any portion of the summer orientation program, Destination Kent State, then they should be already familiar with Student Success Programs. Student Success Programs houses multiple Academic Support services including Save My Semester Workshops and Recalculating Your Route workshops.

Erin Brown, a senior human development/family studies major, went to a Save My Semester workshop after struggling through the transition from high school to college in his first semester.

“After attending, I went from a 1.0 to a 2.4 in half a semester, which was a really big thing for me,” Brown said. “They helped me realize how to manage my time better and how to actually study.”

Getting Involved

Student Success Programs also serves as a hub for student support and leadership opportunities. If a student would like to become a Flashguide or a Student Success Leader, they should consider enrolling in one of the programs. It also oversees Welcome Weekend and the First Year Experience Course. 

The Center for Student Involvement is the home of just about every student organization on campus including Fraternity and Sorority Life, UCommute and the FLASHperks program.

There are over 400 student organizations and the CSI offers Involvement Experts — upperclassmen who can help guide students to the organizations suitable for them. CSI also has a comprehensive list of Common Interest Organizations offered to students, including political, religious and academic-focused groups.

The Student Multicultural Center is a source of support for underrepresented students on campus. They house student organizations like the Male Empowerment Network and Sister Circle and transition programs like Academic S.T.A.R.S. and Kupita Transiciones.

Health Resources

University Health Services helps anyone looking for medical assistance on campus. Located in the Deweese Health Center, University Health Services provides a range of services including a pharmacy, immunizations, physical therapy, radiology and general care.

In the second floor of the Deweese Health Center is the Women’s Clinic — a clinic specializing in women’s healthcare with services including breast examinations, gynecological exams and initiation and management of birth control.

Beside the Women’s Clinic is the Mental Health services on campus: Psychological Services.  Psychological Services has a staff of licensed psychologists who are available to meet individually with students. There is a cost associated with these appointments, but if you don’t have insurance, Psychological Services offers a self-pay rate.

White Hall also houses Counseling Services Office, staffed by master’s and doctoral students in the Counselor Education and Supervision Program. Counseling services are free of charge to Kent State students.

Other mental services offered locally include Coleman Professional Services and Townhall II. If students are facing a mental health crisis and need immediate help, the recommendation from any mental health service is to call 911 immediately.

The Office of Sexual and Relationship Violence Support Services (SRVSS) offers support and resources to anyone who has or knows someone who has experiences power-based personal violence. Their services include crisis intervention, adjudication support, academic intervention, awareness and training programs.

Lauren Raymond, a recent alumni of Kent State, said the SRVSS office is a great resource and not a lot of people know about.

“It’s helpful if you need someone to talk to,” Raymond said. “They provide individual help, which makes it very personable.”

University Support

The Student Accessibility Services (SAS), located on the first floor of the University Library, provides accommodations when it comes to any disabilities students may have. SAS is able to help with services for students with a range of disabilities, including hearing loss, food allergies, dietary needs, temporary illnesses, injuries and learning disabilities.  

SAS helps students get extended testing times, digital accommodations or even someone in the student’s class to take notes for them so they can have the best chance at succeeding academically.

Rebecca O’Connell, a senior criminal justice major, said SAS helped her when she was struggling academically.

“If I had known about how well they accomodate students, I would have signed up the first week of classes rather than the end of my first semester,” O’Connell said.

If a student happens to have legal trouble, Student Legal Services might be able to help. Every semester, students pay a $10 fee to keep a lawyer on retainer for the length of the semester. Located in Acorn Alley, above Dragonfly, Student Legal Services is there for any legal consultations for students.

There are limits to their services, see their website for a list of exclusions.

If a student happened to run into an issue with the university — maybe a professor who’s not understanding or they have a grievance with the university — the Student Ombuds offers assistance. Amy Quillin, the Student Ombuds, handles all of the cases that come through and promises confidentiality as she aims to help students find a resolution.

For non-traditional students, looking for support on campus, the Center for Adult and Veteran Services (CAVS) is an office geared specifically towards their needs. Whether they are entering school as an adult or coming to Kent after serving in the military, the CAVS office provides pre-admission counseling, career guidance and adult student orientation.

The Women’s Center, located towards the front of campus in the Williamson House provides support for all students and education about women, gender and diversity. The center provides a variety of services including the Career Closet, a space to get professional clothing, crisis intervention and scholarships.  

Raymond, a past intern for the Women’s Center, said they offer services for both men and women as well as a food bank open to any Kent State student.

“They have everything from food to feminine care products to diapers — even occasionally coats in the winter time,” Raymond said.

Careers, Internships and More

Those who are looking for a little help finding a new career or major, looking for internships or getting a resume together, the Office of Career Exploration and Development can help.

This office also oversees Flash @ Work, the primary place for finding a job on campus. Students can login through their Flashline account, upload their resume and can see multiple on-campus job opportunities.

If students are looking for more guidance within their major or internships for their major, their academic advisor can help also.

Taking Care of Business

The Kent State Bookstore, located in the first floor of the Student Center, an affiliate of Barnes & Noble Bookstore, has multiple school supplies for students. Kent State apparel, textbooks and a fully stocked technology store are just some of the things the bookstore carries as well.

The Post Office is located in the basement of the Student Center and students can send domestic and international mail, purchase envelopes, make copies and fill money orders. 

Information Services provides students with Tech Help when their electronics are not working properly.

Tech Help can assist students through a phone call, live chat or at one of their on-campus office locations. Students can also call Tech2You, and the travel team will come help you in the Library during the week or in residence halls later in the evening.

Kaylee Peterson is the downtown reporter. Contact her at [email protected].