USG announces outdoor FlashFest performers

Benjamin VanHoose

Just three days out from the annual FlashFest concert, Kent State’s Undergraduate Student Government (USG) announced this year’s full list of outdoor performers.

Walk of Shame, Chil, Omar and Kyle Conley make up the lineup of artists for the free show on the Student Green, which starts Thursday at 5 p.m.

Alternative band Chil consists of four Kent State students: Benjamin Batton, a junior business management major; Nicholas Batton, a senior entrepreneurship major; Justin Solitro, a senior applied engineering major; and Ian Minnick, a sophomore digital media production major.

Conley, a DJ out of Cleveland, is a senior communication studies major, while Omar Azem is a senior integrated life sciences major.

Walk of Shame is a wedding band that covers hits of all genres. Lead singer Sean “Spiffy” Styles took to Twitter to convince students the band doesn’t “suck.”

The main event for the 2017 FlashFest will be rapping duo Rae Sremmurd and opener Sammy Adams at 9 p.m. in the M.A.C. Center. USG brought Sremmurd to perform at FlashFest two years ago, paying them $40,000 in April 2015.

Following the announcement of outdoor performers, students did not hold back disappointments on social media:

USG responded to the backlash through its official Twitter account stating this year’s performers were the result of an “extreme budget difference” from last year.

Last year’s FlashFest included rapper Wiz Khalifa, country singer Chase Rice and pop pair 3OH!3.

Benjamin VanHoose is the features editor, contact him at [email protected]