PRSSA speakers talk about effective communication during World Series

Cameron Hoover

PRSSA held an event Wednesday to discuss public relations in sports, covering everything from gaining media coverage for your team to building a fan community.

In honor of the 2016 World Series, the guest speakers for the event were Joel Hammond and Kevin Saghy, assistant directors of communications for the Cleveland Indians and Chicago Cubs, respectively.

“I’ve been in these students’ shoes. I was looking to hear from people with professional experience (when I was in college),” he said. “So I’m trying to do this as much as I can to give back and lend some professional advice to the students, and let them know what professional organizations look for in applicants.”

PRSSA’s Vice President Brenna Parker served as a moderator for the Q&A session.

Parker said she wanted the event to speak to students who might be interested in a possible career in sports communications.

“I think the sports industry has a lot of unique opportunities for students,” she said. “I hope, if there was even one student in here tonight who got something… that will help them down the road, that’s all the better.”

Meghan Mormino,  decided to come to her first PRSSA event because it spoke to her career goals.

“I thought this was really cool,” she said. “It was really interesting to hear what they all had to say.”

Hammond and Saghy took turns sharing advice and interesting stories throughout the night, in topics ranging from Twitter trolls to the craziness of game seven of the World Series.

Hammond stressed that for students who want to get into the business of sports communication, no two days are the same.

“One day I can be showing Francisco Lindor (Cleveland Indians’ shortstop) to a (Sports Illustrated) photoshoot,” he said, “the next day I can be escorting the mascot around.”

Both of the speakers highlighted the importance of getting the fans involved.

“We want to reward fans for being a part of our organization. We want to make them feel like they are part of the organization,” Hammond said. “That could be in the park, in Progressive Field, or on social media. We’re trying to find new ways to interact with our fans as much as possible.”

Hammond said he hoped students left the event with some new knowledge of how to prepare for a career in sport communication.

“Get real world experience. That’s what the students will need to prepare themselves for a role like mine,” he said. “You can say you know what Twitter is or you know what Instagram is, but if you haven’t run an account, it’ll be tough for someone to join us and feel comfortable right off the bat.”