Students join in welcoming new Dean of Students

New Dean of Students Lamar Hylton and his wife Rhonda Hylton socialize at his welcoming reception in the Student Center on Thurs., March 16, 2017.

Olivia Williams

Students and faculty joined together in the Student Center to welcome the new Dean of Students Thursday.

Kent State held a student reception to welcome Lamar Hylton as the new dean of students. Hylton’s new position will be effective June 2017.

Shay Little, vice president of student affairs, worked with the search committee to help select Hylton as one of the candidates for the position. After reviewing department goals and feedback from the Kent State community, Little offered Hylton the position.

“I am very excited about the energy that Dr. Hylton brings,” Little said. “He has a desire to engage and build relationships with students and he combines that with his experience in working in student activities. I am thrilled that he is going to come join our team at Kent State. He has a great vision of how he is going to elevate the student experience”.

Hylton is the current assistant vice provost for student life at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities. He was struck by this job opportunity because he is a native of Ohio – originally from Columbus – and is familiar with Kent State. Hylton said being closer to his family was important; however, what appealed to him most was the nature of the job.

“I have a strong interest in being a primary student advocate for the institution, and I am excited to get the opportunity to work very closely with students; shaping an engagement experience for them that is holistic and supports their success,” Hylton said.

Hylton has a wide variety of experiences in areas like residence life, student life, student conduct, student leadership and multicultural affairs.

“My educational experiences and my professional experiences throughout my 11 year career has really prompted me and prepared me well to serve in this role,” he said. “I love working with students, that is my passion and the opportunity to do that at a dean of students level really is a complete package for me”.

Prior to the start of his career, Hylton received a bachelor’s degree from Morgan State University in vocal music performance. He later obtained his master’s degree from Ohio University in college student personnel. He then went back to Morgan State to earn his doctorate in higher education administration. Hylton has also been a brother of Phi Beta Sigma since 2004.

Members of Kent State’s Chapter of Phi Beta Sigma and Zeta Phi Beta were among the students at the reception.

“It is empowering to see someone who is a part of my organization in a position like this at Kent State University,” said Alcedos Vanterpool, a junior human development and family studies major. “This is something that will help motivate me to want to better serve the Kent State community and be a better Kent State student.”

Olivia Williams is the African American student life reporter, contact her at [email protected].