Television host Quiñones to speak at Stark campus

Kennedy Caldwell

Editor’s Note: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated the date of the  Kent State Stark’s 26th Featured Speaker Series. It has since been updated.

John Quiñones, television host of “What Would You Do?” and ABC News correspondent, will present at the Kent State Stark’s 26th Featured Speaker Series.

The event is scheduled for April 20 at 7:30 p.m.

According to Kent State Stark’s website, “Kent State University at Stark’s Featured Speakers Series brings national and international experts in civil rights, politics, education, environmental activism, literature and arts to campus.”

Denise Seachrist, dean and chief administrative officer of Kent State Stark, said Quiñones brings wisdom, struggles and strength to overcome hardships.

“He is an important aspect of the Featured Speakers Series because he is a familiar face who is ultimately coming to share words of wisdom about doing the right thing,” Seachrist said. “With the political landscape, current events and turmoil in the headlines, turning inward to ask ourselves if we are doing the right thing on a daily basis is more important now than ever before.”

Quiñones plans to host a Q&A session with students, and select attendees will be selected to attend a private dinner with him.

Quiñones’ autographed books will also be for sale during the event.

Kent State Stark’s Special Events Coordinator Kelly Simonis emphasized the importance of the Featured Speaker Series for Kent State students.

“Being the only public university in Stark County, it is our responsibility to lead and facilitate conversations about the world around us,” Simonis said. “Sometimes these conversations are difficult, containing serious subject matter, and other times they are lighthearted, but it is important that we continue to bring these current topics to the forefront in our community.”

The Featured Speaker Series has garnered over 700 attendees since the event was first established.

“The event has come to be not only a campus tradition, but also a community one,” Simonis said. “The community and campus is grateful for the opportunity and the feedback is, time and again, filled with appreciation and awe. We hear stories from attendees who express that they feel like this has provided them with a once in a lifetime opportunity.”

Students are limited to two tickets, which will be available for purchase starting today at Kent State Stark’s main hall information desk. 

Kennedy Caldwell is the commuters and apartment life reporter, contact her at [email protected].