Main Street Kent announces plans for second Potterfest

Harry+Potter+enthusiasts+crowd+Diagon+Alley+in+downtown+Kents+Acorn+Alley+for+Potterfest+on+Saturday%2C+July+30%2C+2016.%C2%A0

Harry Potter enthusiasts crowd ‘Diagon Alley’ in downtown Kent’s Acorn Alley for Potterfest on Saturday, July 30, 2016. 

Madeline Crandall

After a large turnout to the “Harry Potter” themed takeover of Acorn Alley last summer, Main Street Kent recently announced plans for round two of the Wizarding World for Potterfest.

Local fans of all ages came to downtown Kent to celebrate the release of “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child” last July. Acorn Alley was converted into Diagon Alley, and businesses offered special menu items and activities inspired by the best-selling franchise.

The high participation in last year’s Potterfest has convinced Main Street Kent organizers to arrange a bigger, more developed festival this year, scheduled for July 29 from noon to 9 p.m.

“We are still in planning stages for entertainment,” said Heather Malarcik, executive director of Main Street Kent. “After having such a great response last year from the community and from so many out-of-state fans, we are excited to see this year’s end result.”

Main Street Kent planned activities include a costume contest, potion classes and vendors to line the streets.

“This year will have food trucks and several more vendors selling event-themed, handmade items,” Malarcik said. “We are also working with Kent Stage to provide live music inside the venue for community members to enjoy.”

City council approved for certain streets to be closed in order for event-goers to freely walk and explore. Shuttle services and parking are in the works to be available throughout Kent State.

Madeline Crandall is an entertainment reporter for the Kent Stater, contact her at [email protected]