New pitch competition funds student startups

Mikala Lugen

The Center for Entrepreneurship and Business Innovation will be hosting its first pitch competition, CEBIpitch.

Students are able to bring a business idea for a chance to win cash prizes to help fund a startup business. This gives students an opportunity to grow their businesses and transform into successful business owners.

“The CEBIpitch competition will provide students with mentorship opportunities, business pitch experience and funding to propel their business startups forward,” said Shawn Rohlin, director of the Center for Entrepreneurship and Business Innovation.

The six finalists will compete for cash prizes totaling $5,000 at the Final Live Pitch Competition and Awards Ceremony on April 13 from 3 to 5 p.m. at the Kent State University Hotel and Conference Center.

Six finalists will be announced March 1 and will receive additional private mentoring with business experts, academics and investors. The finalists will also receive pitch training from Brian Bowles.

Bowles is a Kent State graduate and is the CEO of Ready Set Pitch, a business in Cleveland that helps college students, high school students and startups create a good pitch presentation.

To apply, students should register and submit a two-minute video pitch of their business idea by Feb. 24. At least one team member must be an entrepreneurship major or minor.

Mikala Lugen is the student finance reporter, contact her at [email protected].