LGBTQ program to study abroad in Greece for spring break

Addie Gall

As a part of the course “Dionysian Study in Athens Greece: Theatre, History, Performance and Sexuality,” 14 Kent State students will be going abroad to Greece during spring break.

Last year, the “Democracy and Desire: Gender and Sexuality in Greek Culture” course went to Greece and the island of Lesbos off of the coast of Turkey to study gender and sexuality among men and women in ancient Greece.

Along with contrasting ancient Greek gender and sexuality culture with American culture, students will also have opportunities to learn about art and theatre in Greece.

Molly Merryman, director of the Center for the Study of Gender and Sexuality, has worked to provide these students with the opportunity to do this study abroad.

“When it comes to the ancient culture and the ways in which gender and sexuality was dealt with and the beauty and historic relevance of Greece, it just really fell into place … I couldn’t imagine a more ideal place,” Merryman said.

The course, instructed by theatre professor Daniel Nadon, will allow the students to learn about the study of theatre, the arts, gender and sexuality in different cultures.

Kent State has two partners abroad: the University of Athens Department of Theatre and the National Theatre of Greece in Athens, Nadon said. These partners will provide tours, lectures and shows for the students.

Nadon hopes the students understand American culture more by contrasting it with another, as well as learning how cultures can be very similar.

“(I want them) to immerse themselves into not only the ideas and history that surrounds ancient and contemporary Greece but also the current people who are there, what their stories are and what their theatre is like,” Nadon said.

Merryman is also working with the department to start a summer study abroad program to give students more opportunities to study gender and sexuality.

“One of the things that global education provides us is an opportunity to make connections that allow for students to realize that issues go beyond American issues and are often quite timeless,” Merryman said.

Addie Gall is the social sciences reporter, contact her at [email protected].