Bowling Green’s running game dooms Flashes in loss

Freshman defensive back Jamal Parker intercepts the ball for a touchback in Kent State’s game against Bowling Green State University on Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2016.

Henry Palattella

Bowling Green State University (3-8, 2-5 Mid-American conference) used four long scoring drives and 420 yards on the ground to help lead them to a 42-7 win over Kent State (3-8, 2-5 MAC) on Tuesday night.

The Falcons jumped out to an early 7-0 lead when they went on a 16-play, 89-yard drive that was finished off by junior running back Donovan Wilson, who finished with 107 yards and two touchdowns on the night.

Bowling Green used essentially the same blueprint on its next drive that ended when freshman quarterback James Morgan hit junior tightend Hunter Folkertsma from three yards out to increase the lead to 14-0.

The Falcons struck again on their next drive when senior running back Fred Coppet rushed it in six yards out. All of a sudden, the Falcons were up 21-0.

The Flashes finally put their notch on the scoreboard when senior receiver Earnest Calhoun took a junior Nick Holley slant pass 56 yards for a touchdown. 

Holley sat out a drive midway early in the second quarter due to an apparent injury. He returned under center for the Flashes next drive, but he was halfway through the fourth quarter in favor of sophomore quarterback George Bollas. Bollas finished the night seven-of-nine with 118 passing yards.

Bowling Green put the game out of reach on their second drive of the second half when junior running back Josh Cleveland took a handoff 85 yards for a touchdown.

Kent State will look to get their fourth win of the year when they take on Northern Illinois University on Nov. 25 for their season-finale. Kent State head coach Paul Haynes has never won more than four games in a season as the football team’s head coach.

Henry Palattella is a sports reporter, contact him at [email protected]