How professors have adjusted to COVID-19 a year into the pandemic

Rebecca Catto has been more flexible with her students because of the pandemic.

Olivia Perry Reporter

The pandemic has created a change in the way students learn and professors teach.

Professors everywhere had to switch from teaching classes in-person to online. To reflect the changes brought on by the pandemic, professors have changed their teaching methods.

Rebecca Catto, an assistant professor in the sociology department, said, “I’m rather more flexible and patient. For example, quizzes and discussion board posts I give students an automatic 24 grace period to submit them, and their two lowest scores over the course of the semester are dropped automatically. I did not do this before.”

Getting comfortable with technology and different teaching platforms was a big adjustment for professors; there had to be ways to incorporate easy learning tools for students to be active, engaged and gain a better understanding of lessons rather than watching a recorded lecture or sitting in on a call.

Shannon Christen-Syed, an associate lecturer in the English and Pan-African studies departments, said, “My goal with online teaching right now is finding and trying out different educational apps and Google Chrome extensions. These tools address various learning styles and increase student engagement with the course materials on Blackboard.”

There are good things and bad things that come along with new adjustments. Within this new way of learning, professors have noticed what has become useful for students as well as bad habits.

“All my lectures are recorded, which is very useful for students who wish to review the concepts again, or if they missed something in class,” said Daisy Malini Arokiasamy, a graduate appointee in the mathematics department.

“But some students log in and stay after class has ended, which is a clear indicator that they are not in class,” she said. “As an instructor, it is very easy to spot students like that who are not participating, which is definitely a drawback in a remote environment.”

Despite the many adjustments made to the learning process, professors have continued to overcome and adapt to online teaching.

Olivia Perry is an on-campus reporter. Contact her at [email protected].