Professor wins chemistry award

Mietek Jaroniec, a Kent State chemistry and biochemistry professor, receives the “Marie Sklowdowska-Curie Medal” in Poland on Monday, Sept. 19, 2016. 

Madeline Zupko

The Polish Chemical Society awarded a Kent State professor for his scientific advances Sept. 19 in Poland.

Mietek Jaroniec, a chemistry and biochemistry professor at the Kent Campus, earned the “Medal of Marie Sklodowska-Curie” for his outstanding achievements in scientific research. 

The medal is awarded to chemists for their outstanding achievements in scientific research and their contribution to Polish chemists.

“This award recognizes not only my research, but also the accomplishments of my talented students and co-workers,” Jaroniec said. “I have been fortunate to work with highly motivated students and co-workers, and to interact with many leading scholars around the world — which makes my research even more rewarding.”

Being recognized in Poland, the country he was born and educated in, is something Jaroniec said made him feel great.

Before he became a professor at Kent State, Jaroniec earned his master’s degree, Ph.D. and his doctorate of science degree at the Marie Curie-Sklodowska University in Poland. He then traveled to Kent State to teach in 1991. 

“Professor Jaroniec is an accomplished scientist; he is listed among some of (the) world’s most influential scientific minds on Thomson Reuters Highly Cited Researchers list,” said Jowita Marszewska, a chemistry graduate student in Jaroniec’s program at Kent State. “He is always happy to take time for discussions and share his knowledge and expertise in the area of nanomaterials. He is dedicated to science, passionate about his research, and committed to train a new generation of scientists.” 

Marszewska also works as a graduate student with Jaroniec, and he is her Ph.D. advisor in chemistry. 

“Professor Jaroniec is a great scientist, understanding boss, excellent mentor, patient teacher and very passionate about what he does,” Jaroniec said.

Academic Department Chairperson of Chemistry and Biochemistry Michael Tubergen said, “He’s a very diligent worker. He puts in long days, and his research group is very productive.”

Jaroniec said the award recognizes not only his research, but also the accomplishments of his students and co-workers. 

“I have been fortunate to work with highly motivated students and co-workers, and to interact with many leading scholars around the world, which makes my research even more rewarding,” Jaroniec said.

Madeline Zupko is a general assignment reporter. Contact her at [email protected].