Kent State to celebrate International Education Week

Lydia Taylor

Kent State will celebrate International Education Week Nov. 14 – 18 with events to promote global culture through educational studies.

International Education Week is a collaborative effort from the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education to adapt Americans to the increasing global culture, according to the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs’ website.

Todd Diacon, senior vice president of Academic Affairs and Provost, said the week is a national event with different colleges participating across the United States. Diacon said it’s also an opportunity for students to learn and get more involved in a global scale through different programs, such as studying abroad.

“If we can get more students to study abroad — and more students are — and if that’s the only thing they do, and if they get a great experience, then good,” Diacon said. “(International Education Week) is a reminder of the power of international education ,and it’s a way for students to start to think about if (studying abroad) is something they want to do.”

There will be 30 different events, including a keynote speech from Haifa Jamal Al-Lail, president of Effat University in Saudi Arabia. The week will also feature the International Cook-Off Competition where six culinary teams from Bangladesh, Brazil, India, Nepal, Saudi Arabia and South Korea will be competing, according to Kent State’s website. 

Diacon said there will be presentations and information sessions pertaining to the process of studying abroad and demystifying the issues associated with the process, such as obtaining a passport.  

For the complete list of events throughout the week, visit Kent State’s International Education Week website.

Lydia Taylor is an administration reporter, contact her at [email protected].