Holley cleared to play against Ohio University

Henry Palattella

Kent State (2-5, 1-2 Mid-American Conference) junior quarterback Nick Holley spent most of the fourth quarter on the sideline, helmet in hand. That won’t be the case this week.

Holley left Kent State’s game against Miami University (OH) (1-6, 1-2 MAC) last week after he sustained a head injury after being hit in the helmet area while running out of bounds.

The Flashes lost 18-14 to the RedHawks, in large part because the Flashes’ offense was stagnant when Holley wasn’t behind center. Sophomore running back Myles Washington entered the game at quarterback for one series, which stalled. The Flashes gave up a late touchdown pass to the RedHawks, and then sophomore quarterback George Bollas threw an interception on the Flashes’ last drive.

Holley – who had last played quarterback in high school – became the Flashes’ starting quarterback three games ago against Akron, and has produced superhuman results since. Holley has rushed for 425 yards and seven touchdowns on the ground since taking over the quarterback spot. He has compiled 472 total rushing yards this year. Holley has been effective in the air as well, going 33-of-59 for 465 yards and two touchdowns. He has thrown one interception, which came last week against Miami.

Holley is the only Kent State player to catch, throw, and run for a touchdown pass this year.

If Holley couldn’t play this week, Washington would have taken over behind center, according to Kent State coach Paul Haynes.

Ohio University’s (4-3, 2-1 MAC) quarterback position is shrouded in uncertainty as well. Redshirt senior quarterback Greg Windham has started every game for Ohio this year but was benched mid-game last week in favor of redshirt freshman quarterback Quinton Maxwell. Windham has thrown for 1,282 yards and eight touchdowns this year, while Maxwell has thrown for 386 yards and three touchdowns. Windham also leads the Bobcats in rushing with 350 yards.

Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. on Saturday.

Henry Palettella is a sports reporter. Contact him at [email protected].