National Depression Screening Day

Brandon Bounds

University Health Services, Psychological Services and the Office of Health Promotion partnered this year for National Depression Screening Day at Kent State University, coordinated by Kent State’s Division of Student Affairs.

The 22nd annual event was open to all students, faculty, staff and the entire Kent community.

The event helped students aware of mental health concerns, the stigma involved with it and the resources that are available for those affected.

Pamela Farer-Singleton, Ph.D, chief psychologist and adjunct associate professor for the department of psychology, was one of many to aid in the screening and talked to students regarding psychological disorders.

“Every year, we receive a good turnout for the screening day,” Farer-Singleton said. “We usually receive about approximately 500 students who are either interested in the different disorders and treatments or who are actually distressed.”

According to Dr. Farer-Singleton, the most common disorders found in students are anxiety and depression.

Depression is an illness characterized by feelings of worthlessness and hopelessness, and an inability to function, which can affect your studies and grades.

Common symptoms include, but are not limited to, significant changes in mood and behavior and alcohol and drug abuse.

“A lot of students confuse depression with sadness,” Farer-Singleton said. “The stress of family, relationships and school work usually causes stress within a student. According to studies, these factors can cause students to more likely face depression.”’

Those who experience generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) tend to worry for no reason for a long period of time. They have difficulty concentrating on certain tasks and have trouble sleeping.

Dr. Farer-Singleton mentioned that Kent State offers a wide array of services for people suffering from psychological disorders.

Step Up and Speak Out aims to support individuals in need by educating University community members on protocols and resources designed to assist in disruptive situations or with distressed individuals.”

Conquering Anxiety is led by the Psychological Services staff and helps broaden the understanding of anxiety, learn ways to cope with stress and anxiety, provide support from peers and discuss anxiety-related problems in a safe, confidential space.

Mental illnesses are a growing concern on college campuses. For those who are interested in additional resources and want to express concern of a distressed friend, contact Psychological Services at DeWesse Health Center, Coleman Access Services, Townhall II Helpline and National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.