Campus organization focuses on recovery

Angelo Angel

Kent State’s Empowering Students in Recovery focuses on providing a judgement-free zone where people recovering from addiction can find a place to share their experiences and struggle with addiction, as well as an outlet for those who are still using substance, to explore recovery.

The group was founded in August 2013, when Maureen Keating, a chemical dependency counselor at the University Health Services and a Kent State student, who wishes to remain anonymous, got together with a plan to form a support group.

Keating said when she first arrived at Kent State, there wasn’t a support group available to students in recovery.

“We came up with the idea together to create a support group that wasn’t obligatory, and anyone could come attend the group,” Keating said.

The group doesn’t follow a traditional 12-step program like other anonymous groups. Each individual who attends the meeting does not have an obligation to share their story or participate in the discussion.

Keating emphasized that the support group is not only for those who are struggling with addiction, but also for those who wish to become allies.

“We’re always looking for students who wish to help organize awareness campaigns or to be there as a supportive member for those who are dealing with addiction,” Keating said.

Empowering Students in Recovery is hosted at the Deweese Health Center every Thursday from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at conference room A, located in the lower level of the building.

Angelo Angel is a senior reporter, contact him at [email protected].