USG markets Kesha, PartyNextDoor concert with new techniques

09%2F29%2F16+Kesha

09/29/16 Kesha

Lauren Rathmell

Kent State’s Undergraduate Student Government will host a Homecoming Week concert with pop artist Kesha and hip-hop artist PartyNextDoor on Thursday.

While the concert happens to fall during the week of homecoming celebrations — a first for the university —Cliff Glowacki, a senior theatre studies major and director of programming for USG, said the timing just worked out for the artists and Kent State.

“I think it’s a great way to draw Kent State alumni and … students together to participate in the events this week,” Glowacki said. “As for starting a Homecoming concert tradition … only time will tell.”

In addition to selling tickets — which went on sale in August for students, and will be available until doors open for the event—USG started a contest via Twitter to give away tickets to every 50th retweet until they reach 500 retweets.

“We’re always looking for new ways to market our concerts to the public,” Glowacki said. “A social media giveaway worked well this time.”

One of the winners was junior fashion merchandising major Adam Forrester.

“I was stoked when I woke up to the free ticket after just retweeting a tweet,” Forrester said. “I’m looking forward to see what Kesha is going to bring to the table and ready to get emotional with PND.”

USG also hosted a raffle on Risman Plaza during the Black Squirrel Festival earlier this month to give away tickets.

Kesha has made headlines recently with her ongoing legal battle with music producer Dr. Luke. She’s known for hits like “Tik Tok” and “Die Young.”

The singer uploaded a 15-second personalized video to her Twitter page to get students pumped up about her visit.

“I better see you guys there; it’s going to be super fun. I love you, bye,” she said.

PND, a Toronto-based rapper known for his collaborations with musical artists Drake, Big Sean and Jeremih, and his single “Not Nice” just released his album “PartyNextDoor 3” in August.

Rapper Bas is also slated to open for Kesha and PND.

Student tickets start at $30, and general public tickets are on sale for $45.

Doors open at 6 p.m. The show is set to start at 7 p.m. in the M.A.C. Center.

Lauren Rathmell is a features correspondent, contact her at [email protected].