QB Mitchell out for the year due to hand injury

Freshman quarterback Mylik Mitchell went down with an apparent wrist injury after being sacked late in the second quarter. Coach Paul Haynes said Mitchell’s status is “not good.” The Flashes lost to the Crimson Tide, 48-0.

Henry Palattella

Kent State football has suffered another setback.

Redshirt freshman quarterback Mylik Mitchell is out for the rest of the year due to a hand injury, as first reported by the Record-Courier. Mitchell left Kent’s 48-0 blowout loss over no. 1 Alabama early after landing awkwardly on his hand late in the second quarter.

Mitchell – who has thrown for 363 yards and five touchdowns on the year – got the starting job after true freshman quarterback Justin Agner suffered an injury in the season opener against Penn State. Agner remains out indefinitely.

While the actual injury has yet to be announced, Kent State head coach Paul Haynes expressed concern that Mitchell had broken his right wrist.

Mitchell’s injury opens up a spot at quarterback for the Flashes, one that will be filled by Sophomore quarterback George Bollas. Bollas started six games for Kent last year, throwing for 756 yards to go along with two touchdowns and six interceptions. Bollas has thrown for 72 yards this year to go along with 51 yards rushing.

Bollas will be backed up by fifth-year senior Colin Reardon. Reardon spent the past three years as Kent’s starting quarterback, but spent the past offseason converting to play wide receiver. Reardon currently ranks fourth in school history in both touchdown passes (33) and completions (495.)

Kent opens its MAC schedule when they welcome Akron to Dix Stadium for the Wagon Wheel game this Saturday. The game is scheduled for a 3:30 kickoff.