Public relations announces new national accreditation

090716 PR Kent

Ian Gillan

Kent State’s undergraduate public relations program announced that it would join the ranks of nearly 40 other schools in the world that hold Certification in Education for Public Relations (CEPR) from the Public Relations Society of America on Sept. 6.

The application process began during fall 2015 with a 150-page application covering every aspect of the program. The application process was spearheaded by Michele Ewing, associate professor in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, and Tim Roberts, JMC undergraduate studies coordinator.

This makes Kent State the first school in Ohio to have a program with both the CEPR and accreditation from the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communication.

“It was a lot of work, but it was well worth it. It was something that needed to be done and I’m glad it is,” Roberts said. “It’s a quality system standard where our students realize that we do what we say we do.”

In April 2016 — two site reviewers, one academic and one PR professional, from PRSA’s Education Affairs committee were sent to Kent State to evaluate the program. The pair returned in early August and recommended certification of the program. In late August the Education Affairs committee approved the certification.

“Having any type of national accreditation adds a third party endorsement to the quality of your program,” Ewing said. “It gives us the opportunity to show that the undergraduate public relations program is one of the best in the country.”

Kent State’s PR program will formally receive the certification in October at PRSA’s National Conference in Indianapolis.

The CEPR will be re-reviewed every five years.

Ian Gillan is the CCI reporter, contact him [email protected].