Athletics adds sports medicine facility as part of “The Game Plan”

Stephen Means

As part of Kent State’s “Game Plan” unveiled in March for the Athletics Department, the university announced plans to put a sports medicine facility inside of the MAC Center Annex.

Set to open later in September, the facility should not affect any classes that take place in the annex.

“It’s going where the racket courts used to be,” said Trent Stratton, assistant athletic director of sports medicine

Stratton also stated that the medical facility will be available exclusively to the student athletes on campus.

The facility, which will span over 10,000-square feet across the two-floor space, will include three therapy pools, an underwater treadmill, an AlterG Anti-Gravity Treadmill, and an abundance of other machines to be used by the 425 student-athletes at Kent State.

Also included in the new space will be private conference rooms, exam rooms, changing rooms and new rehab equipment.

“We are thrilled with President Warren and the university’s support for this project as it is truly in sync with her vision of ‘students-first’ as we address the health and safety of our student-athletes,” said Athletic Director Joel Nielsen, in a news release. “Certainly, this facility will be an excellent recruiting tool which will help attract the best and brightest because it will improve performances across the board.”

The medical facility is just the first of many renovations to be made by the athletics department from now through 2020.